They say you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but many people do. Even more important than the cover, however, is a book’s title. A weak title may mean your work will be overlooked in the book store but a strong one will grip the imagination of prospective readers, not to mention that a memorable title comes easier to the lips. The more a person can hear and remember your book’s title, the more likely you are to increase your readership.
To create a book title for your manuscript, just follow these important steps:
- Start with the story basics. What is it about? Who is the target audience? Your title should reflect on these concepts.
- Search within the story for title ideas. It could be drawn from a theme present in the manuscript, a key phrase used, or the name of a character or concept in the story.
- Some authors will use a title that has absolutely nothing to do with the work. It’s a unique concept and it can pay off as long as a parallel can eventually be drawn between the two.
- As you come up with ideas narrow your list down to the five strongest possibilities. Have friends and family members read the manuscript. Get their opinions on which of the five titles are most effective.
- Consider each of the titles as part of a marketing plan. Does one work better than the other? Say the titles out loud as if you were in an interview. Does one roll off the tongue easier?
It’s important to remember that a story’s title gives a reader the most basic description of your work. Whether a title is pulled from the book or not, it will still be a reflection of your work and the ideas you want to express.
Using these steps to create a book title will ensure your book won’t be overlooked on store shelves. After you have that catchy title and your manuscript is complete it’s time to bet busy getting your work published. The best approach is using a professional printing company like CMYK Graphix, Inc. They will allow you to self-publish your manuscript in the quickest time so you can focus your energy on selling and marketing it. As professional book printers, they have the knowledge and experience to help you self-publish your novel with all the customizations you require. They offer fast and easy quotes online at http://www.cmykgraphix.com and will be happy to do custom quotes by request. For more information, contact the book printers at 1-800-698-2071 or email them today.